After many trials of perfecting a baked ziti recipe to my liking, I’ve finally got it. Instead of using ziti pasta, I’ve found penne adds a better texture to the dish. This baked penne recipe is pretty much similar to my lasagna. Meaty, cheesy, and full of goodness.
I’ve also tried this recipe with the addition of mushrooms and/or spinach. But the meat only recipe is how I make it on the regular. I probably make this dish at least twice a month. It’s easy and lasts a few days.
1. 1 pkg of Penne (cooked al dente, drained well)
2. 1 pkg provolone cheese (about 10 small slices)
3. 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4. 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
5. 2 lbs italian sausage
6. 2-3 cups ricotta cheese
7. 1/3 cup sour cream
8. 1 jar Classico sweet basil pasta sauce
9. 1/2 jar Ragu traditional pasta sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large non stick pan, cook sausage thoroughly. Allow the meat to brown.
3. add pasta sauces, mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 20 min. Mix continuously.
4. Meanwhile, prepare a baking dish about 9″x12″. Grease the bottom and sides of dish. I used Pam. Set aside.
5. Place your cooked pasta in a large bowl. Mix in ricotta and sour cream. I added a little bit of salt as well.
6. Add about 1 cup of the sausage sauce mixture into the pasta. Mix well.
7. Begin layering pasta into dish. First add 1/3 of the remaining sausage sauce and spread at the bottom of baking dish.
8. Then layer it with 1/2 of the pasta.
9. Next, layer on provolone cheese. Try to cover it thoroughly.
10. Next, layer over about 2 lbs of mozzarella cheese.
11. Pour the remaining sausage sauce and spread all over.
12. Layer on the rest of the pasta.
13. Cover with remaining 2 lbs of mozzarella then with the Parmesan cheese.
14. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 min. Uncover, and bake for another 10 min or until cheese on top has melted or until browned.